Long post... but read it or die. (in the face)

Saturday, June 7, 2008
So as some of you may know, I'm starting my new job on Monday!

I had a working interview on Thursday... which is where you go in and work the full day... 9-5 and you decide if you like it and they decide if they like you. ... Well we were all in love! I was crazy nervous about it for a few days but no more than 10 mins after I got there, I was already telling jokes and dancing around and feeling completely at home... which is hard for me. Most people know I can be VERY shy around new people.

And after like 3 patients, I was already jumping in and doing pretty much everything my job will consist of. Though the dental software they use is COMPLETELY different than what I worked with at the other office... I learned uber fast. So almost immediately after I came back from the lunch break, they offered me the job. Dr. Colby said I was assertive and really knew what I was doing and everyone loved me.

Sooo compared to my old job... I'll be making more money here, my position is fancier, there's a No Gossip/No Drama Policy (you have NO idea how bad it was at my old place of employment... every workday was worse than a soap opera), and instead of working every single saturday, I will be working every other Saturday... that is when the summer is over. Until then... NO Saturdays! Every weekend is a 3 day weekend! AND it's like 5 minutes away from Shane... plus they're opening another office that's even closer to him! Lunch is at 2... which is perfect because General Hospital is on at 2 and I can just drive to Shane's and watch it!

I also had another working interview on Friday which was a nightmare. The place was so unorganized and no one could explain what they wanted me to do. (every Dentist prefers things a different way and uses different products) And man, I was not expecting the procedure I had to assist. I've assisted plenty of surgical procedures before (extracting teeth and cutting the gums and whatnot) but this was was much more in depth. The doctor I worked for before only had the tools and time for wisdom teeth cases that were simple... everything else was referred out... so apparently the guy I worked with the other day is one of the ones that people get referred to.

It. Was. Gross.

The wisdom tooth was so hard to get to, that he had to slice a huge freaking cut into the person's cheek! And then it still wouldn't come out so through this hole, he had to dig at it with the drill. So in order to assist this complicated crazyness, not only did I have to work with 2 different types of suction at once, I also had to hold a tongue retractor in there too. So there I am, working with three things at once and only 2 hands while this heavily sedated (and very much asleep) patient is getting his mouth freakin torn apart.

And the amazing part... in the end the tooth came out perfectly whole and when the dentist stitched him up, it looked like nothing had even happened. Soo I gotta say.... despite the disorganization and horrible ability to communicate... the man was freakin awesome at his job.

But yea, I'm sticking with the other one. I just wanted to share my gross/terrifying experience. I felt like I was being thrown from the profession of dental dssistant to surgical nurse with no warning.

In other news... apparently there were tornados and floods and all kinds of crazy things happening everywhere on the planet and it somehow completely passed my town and Shane's.

2 comments:

  1. From fear of dying in the face i read your post. I am so happy you found such a great job! I knew that when i heard that you got let go or whatever from the one that there were better things waiting for you in the wings.
    =)
    Yea for you!

  1. Thank you much for your faith in me! I'm happy too and even happier that now you will not die in the face... though you seem to be the only one so this means lots of people will be disappearing soon.

    But yea, thanks for reading my long post!